Thursday, February 14, 2013

Happy Heart Day!




“By this we shall know that we are of the truth and reassure our heart before him; for whenever our heart condemns us, God is greater than our heart and he knows everything.” 1 John 3:19-20

            I don’t know about you, but my heart seems pretty crazy. Emotions, desires, thoughts, and even deceit flow through that place. Those things, both good and bad, that I desire or think I deserve course through it.
            Much like the conversation hearts above, my heart tells me random sayings and thoughts that don’t always make sense and my heart can be very fragile. Before taking that picture those little hearts had been through a lot. I carried them around in my purse, a two year old shook the mess out them, and then I dropped them. When I took them out of the box some were broken and others had pieces chipped off. There were not too many left in perfect condition. Life can be like that with our hearts. From relationships to family, school and jobs, or health, we too can become broken and chipped.
            My heart leads me astray, whispers lies, and even condemns me. I love how in verse 20 I am reassured of God’s power. God is greater than my sinful, crazy heart. I don’t have to hide anything, even though I try sometimes, He knows it all. Overwhelming comfort and grace speak to my heart through that verse. As I think about Valentine’s Day I hope that God is refining my heart to continuously hear His gospel, even in the times when my heart seems to be speaking louder.

No comments:

Post a Comment