Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Lessons I Learned at the YMCA


I don't typically think in terms of analogies but occasionally my mind wanders in that direction. My work schedule is fairly consistent so it's easy to get caught up in the day-to-day routines and activities. But when God gives me a new perspective I try and take the time to find understanding and clarity. I look at it as a way to discern a deeper comprehension of God's character. 

On Fridays I take Logan swimming at the Y. We have been going for the past few months and his progress has been great. The first time we went he cried about everything. From changing in the locker room to having to go through the showers, Logan cried. Even as we were walking down the steps into the pool, he could do nothing but cling to me like a monkey, unsure about what was going to happen. Legs wrapped tightly around my waist and arms securely locked around my neck, we eased our way into the chilly 85 degree water. We made it all of 15 minutes before it was just too much to handle. No amount of motor boating would change his mind. We made our way back through the showers and changed clothes for the second time, readying ourselves for home. Even the dryer made him cry so I left with a wet-headed, screaming two year old. (You're welcome patrons of the Y.) 

I think it was all the unknowns that did him in; not knowing what to expect, being in a brand new environment, and not understanding the point of it all. Even me talking things over with him didn't offer much comfort. I love the parallels of relationships with children and our relationship with God. The symbolism in the teaching and discipline amazes me sometimes. Like Logan and the pool, I am with God. I can't see the end result, I'm thrown into a new or difficult situation, and I don't really understand what's expected of me...yet. (That's the kicker.)

The entire time Logan was in and around the pool, I was there. I made sure he had his life jacket, that we obeyed the rules of no running, and I was there for him to cling to. I never left his side. Just like God. As for Logan, I know why we go to the pool. I want him to be able to swim. I could even tell him all this, and I have, but he is not able to comprehend what that means exactly. I want him to be confident around water as a means to protect himself. For this to happen he has to trust me and be obedient to my instructions, knowing I have his best intentions in mind. (Insert mind blowing sound effects here.) Sometimes it's the simplest thought that lingers and leads me to deeper understanding. Wherever I am, whatever is going on in life God sees the end result. If He wanted to, He could tell me how my story ends but I would miss so much. It's in the details and trials of life that we learn and grow as a person and also learn and grow in our understanding of our Savior. 
  
As the weeks have gone by, Logan is now able to walk with more confidence and knowledge as he approaches the water. The locker room and shower have become the norm and he even jumps off the side, going underwater. It's been gradual and sometimes the trust wavers but he is learning to swim. The parallels in this story give me pause as I look at my own relationship with God. Sometimes I feel alone in circumstances yet I can know that He is right by my side. ("Be strong and courageous. Do not fear or be in dread of them, for it is the Lord your God who goes with you. He will not leave you or forsake you.” Deut. 31:6) I can be confident in my Teacher and even when I find my trust wavering or my vision lacking because He has proven to be nothing but faithful I can be obedient and jump into the water knowing He's there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment