Thursday, March 7, 2013

Nail Polish

For about 22 years I have been biting my fingernails. Countless times I have tried to stop, usually not making it longer than a few weeks. I have used incentives for myself, tape, nail polish, pepper polish, you name it I have tried it. My grandmother even told me a horror story about an appendix filled with fingernails and still I would bite my nails. Now I don't know if the appendix thing is possible but I understood what she was getting at; biting your fingernails is gross and bad for your health. I also know they look terrible when they are so chewed but it had become something I did out of nerves, boredom, or just whenever. Breaking a habit is difficult to say the least. Four weeks ago yesterday I decided to try and stop once again. I was at Target when a bottle of nail polish caught my eye. It's a peachy color so it looks bad with my pale skin but still I bought it and painted my chewed nails. It's been a long four weeks and when I find myself wanting to bite my nails or biting them I pop a rubber band on my wrist (I read about that on Pinterest). I've had a few relapses but it has only been a few fingers. And today something great happened, I actually broke a nail! That's never happened before. It's baby steps but I'm four weeks closer than I've ever been. My name is Kari and I bite my nails but I'm trying hard to break that habit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment